According to the Cyclone Warning Division of the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the Cyclonic Storm ‘Burevi’ over Gulf of Mannar close to Pamban moved westwards with a speed of 9kmph during past six hours, weakened into a Deep Depression and lay centered over Gulf of Mannar near close to Ramanathapuram District coast, about 20km southwest of Pamban and 210 km east-northeast of Kanniyakumari. The associated wind speed is about 55-65 gusting to 75 kmph.
The deep depression would move west-southwestwards and cross Ramanathapuram and Thoothukudi districts during 3rd December night to 4th December early hours with wind speed of 50-60 gusting to 70 kmph. It is very likely to weaken further into a Depression (wind speed 40-50kmph gusting to 60 kmph) today, the 4th December morning.
Forecast track and intensity are given below:
(Lat. 0N/ long. 0E)
|Maximum sustained surface
wind speed (Kmph)
|Category of cyclonic disturbance|
|3.12.20/1730||9.2/79.1||55-65 gusting to 75||Deep Depression|
|3.12.20/2330||9.1/78.5||50-60 gusting to 70||Deep Depression|
|04.12.20/0530||8.9/78.0||45-55 gusting to 65||Depression|
|04.12.20/1130||8.8/77.4||40-50 gusting to 60||Depression|
|04.12.20/1730||8.7/76.8||30-40 gusting to 50||Well Marked Low|
Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places very likely over Tamilnadu and Kerala during next 24-hours. Heavy rainfall at isolated places very likely over south Coastal Andhra Pradesh and Lakshadweep on 3rd& 04th December. Heavy rainfall at isolated places very likely over south Coastal Andhra Pradesh and Lakshadweep on 3rd& 04th December.
(ii) Wind warning
- Squally wind speed reaching 55-65 kmph gusting to 75 kmph is very likely during next 6 hours along and off south Tamilnadu coast (Ramanathapuram, Thoothukudi, Tirunelveli and Kanniyakumari districts) and it will gradually decrease to 45-55 kmph gusting to 65 kmph by tomorrow morning the 4thDecember.
- Squally wind speed reaching 35-45 kmph gusting to 55 kmph likely to prevail along & off south Kerala coast (Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Pathanamthitta and Alappuzah districts) during next 24-hours.
- Squally wind speed reaching 35-45 kmph gusting to 55 kmph very likely over Lakshadweep-Maldives area and adjoining southeast Arabian Sea on 4th December.
(iii) Sea condition
- Sea condition is rough to very rough over Gulf of Mannar and adjoining southwest Bay of Bengal, along & off south Tamilnadu, west Sri Lanka coasts till morning of the 4th December and rough to very rough over Comorin Area, adjoining southeast Arabian Sea and along & off Kerala coast on 4thDecember.
(v) Fishermen warning and Action suggested
- Fisherman are advised not to venture into Gulf of Mannar and adjoining southwest Bay of Bengal and along and off south Tamil Nadu coast and north Sri Lanka coasts during next 12-and along and off Kerala coast, Lakshadweep-Maldives area & adjoining southeast Arabian Sea during next 24-hours.