Several steps have been taken by Indian Railways (IR) to make train journey safer and more comfortable for passengers, some of which are listed below:-
- State-of-the-art Train-set Vande Bharat services have been introduced between New Delhi – Varanasi and New Delhi- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra. These trains have ultra modern features like quick acceleration, on board infotainment and Global Positioning System (GPS) based passenger information system, automatic sliding doors, retractable footsteps and Zero discharge vacuum bio toilets etc.
- Various premium train services like Humsafar, Tejas, Antyodaya, Utkrisht Double Decker Air-conditioned Yatri (UDAY), Mahamana and coaches like Deen Dayalu and Anubhuti, which have upgraded interiors / exteriors and improved passenger amenities, have been introduced in service in various train services over IR.
- IR ìs manufacturing only Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB) coaches, which are technologically superior and have better riding, aesthetics and safety features than conventional Integral Coach Factory (ICF) type coaches. Production Units of IR have stopped the manufacturing of ICF type coaches and are manufacturing only LHB coaches from the year 2018-19 onwards.
- Vistadome coaches provide panoramic view, through wider body side windows as well as through transparent sections in the roof, thus enabling the passengers to enjoy the scenic beauty of the places through which they travel. Recently, Vistadome coaches on LHB platform have been manufactured with several modern features / amenities.
- IR had also launched Project Utkrisht in April 2018 in order to improve the condition of ICF type coaches running in Mail / Express trains. Upgradation of 447 rakes of Mail / Express trains has been completed till December 2020 under Project Utkrisht.
- Under Project Swarn, 65 rakes of Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains have been upgraded across multiple dimensions, which include coach interiors, toilets, onboard cleanliness, staff behaviour, linen, etc.
- 63 smart coaches with ultra modern features like Smart Public address and passenger information system, Smart HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning system), Smart security and surveillance system etc. have been manufactured and introduced in service.
- Conversion of End-On-Generation (EOG) trains into Head-On-Generation (HOG) trains to reduce noise and air pollution at stations and in trains. It is expected to significantly reduce the consumption of fossil fuels.
- Conventional lighting in coaches has been replaced with modern and energy efficient Light Emitting Diode (LED) lights.
- IR has also been providing increased number of mobile charging points in coaches.
- Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Cameras cameras have been provided in more than 2,900 coaches over IR. Air conditioned Electric Multiple Unit (EMU) services have been introduced on Western Railway and Central Railway. CCTV Cameras, Emergency Talk Button have been installed in EMU Trains.
- With a view to further fortify the security system, in addition to CCTV Cameras and Emergency Talk Back System, Flasher lights have also been provided in ladies coaches in EMU rakes in South Eastern Railway.
- Installation of GPS based Passenger Announcement cum Passenger Information System (PAPIS) in EMU & Kolkata Metro has already been installed. This Passenger Information System informs the passengers regarding the next approaching station through audio announcement on speakers as well as through video display on LED screens simultaneously. Further, newly manufactured EMU/ Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) rakes are already equipped with such technology/system.
It is a continual endeavor of IR to provide improved passenger services in coaches.